You may hear oral care being emphasized for dogs, but not so much for cats. Cats need their teeth cleaned just as much as dogs do. Because of their smaller mouths, it can be a bit difficult to clean their teeth, but with the best cat toothpaste, you can get the job done.
Cat toothpaste is designed specifically to clean a cat’s teeth without being a danger to the cat. There are flavored and flavorless options available, so you can choose based on the taste preference of your cat.
When it comes to brushing your cat’s teeth, however, it may take some patience – more so on your end, especially if your cat has never had their teeth brushed before. To help you better find the right product for your cat’s dental needs, we have put together a list of some of the best options you can use.
Top-Rated Toothpastes for Cats
Get your cat’s teeth started on the healthy road with the Virbac Poultry Flavor toothpaste.
- Prevents plaque buildup
- No foaming agent
Virbac has been a leading agent in the pet dental industry for 25 years, and with the veterinary recommended C.E.T. toothpaste, it shows why. The C.E.T. toothpaste is formulated with special, safe, and effective ingredients that are appealing to pets, and can bust away plaque formation with regular use. No foaming agents are used, so it is safe if your pet were to swallow some.
- Can be used on cats of all breeds and ages
- Some cats may not be a fan of the taste
Virbac Poultry Flavor Toothpaste is excellent for cats with plaque buildup or to maintain sparkly white teeth.
Brushing your cat’s teeth will be easy with the handy tools provided in the Vetoquinol Enzymatic kit.
- Two different brushes included
This kit offers two toothbrush styles. The standard brush works great for the easy-going cat while the finger brush helps with squirmy cats who aren’t comfortable with a large brush in their mouths.
This product contains enzymatic properties, which means it can remove plaque and prevent buildup. To entice cats to the toothpaste, it is poultry-flavored without using harmful ingredients or actual chicken.
- Contains no foaming agents so it can be safely swallowed
- The toothbrush may be too big for smaller mouthed cats
Vetoquinol Enzymatic offers a standard brush and finger brush so you can tend to you your cat’s teeth at their comfort level.
Have everything you need to clean your cat’s teeth in one with the Sentry Pet Cat Dental Kit.
- Comes as a complete kit
- No foaming agents used
For some cats, it can be challenging to get used to a toothbrush against their teeth. While this kit does come with a brush, it also comes with a finger brush to help the nervous or wiggly cats.
Sentry has included a hydrogen peroxide-producing enzymatic formula that will help reduce plaque and keep it from building up again. Since no foaming agents are used, cats can safely swallow it.
- Malt flavored
- Veterinarian approved
- The hard bristles on the brush may not be appealing to some cats
Stop worrying if your cat will have healthy teeth or not, by using the Sentry Pet Cat Dental Kit.
Though not your typical toothpaste, the Oxyfresh Oral Hygiene Solution still cleans your kitty’s teeth.
- Exclusive teeth cleaning blend
- No brushing needed
- Odorless and tasteless
For cats who hate the teeth brushing sensation, this solution provides you a hands-free and hassle-free way to ensure proper oral hygiene. Simply add the solution to your cat’s water. An exclusive teeth-cleaning blend of proprietary Oxygene and Zinc Acetate cleans teeth faster and stops plaque buildup. Since it is odorless and tasteless, cats should not suspect their water has the toothpaste or be put off from drinking their water.
- Available in a 16-oz and 1-gallon bottle
- Veterinarian recommended
- Customers have stated that the solution goes bad rather quickly when opened
For a hassle-free experience, use Oxyfresh Oral Hygiene Solution.
Prevent any dental issues from occurring in your cat’s mouth with the Triple Pet E.Z. Vanilla Kit.
- No harmful ingredients used
- Angled toothbrush
- Provides dental health protection
Triple Pet does not use any harmful ingredients, added sugars, or foaming agents in their toothpaste. They only use natural ingredients to combat dental issues. The tasty vanilla mint-flavored toothpaste will combat gum disease, mouth infections, plaque, tartar, and bad breath. Since some cats are a bit wiggly when brushing, Triple Pet has made their toothbrush angled so you can brush in any direction your moving kitty will be in.
- Brush is dishwasher safe
- The mint flavor may be too strong for some cats to enjoy
The Triple Pet E.Z. Vanilla Kit provides you with a teeth brushing experience you and your cat will enjoy.
For cats who hate the fuss of getting their teeth brushed, give the Tropiclean Dental Gel a go instead.
- Natural ingredients used
- No brushing needed
- Strong dental cleaning capabilities
Tropiclean only uses natural ingredients in their gel, like green tea leaf extract and mint. All of the ingredients combined can fight tartar buildup, prevent bacteria growth which causes bad breath, maintain healthy teeth enamel, and provide overall dental health. Just squeeze some of the gel into your cat’s mouths, and their saliva will do the rest in spreading it out.
- Can leave teeth looking visibly cleaner in 30-days when used as directed
- Has a strong smell cats may not enjoy
Tropiclean Dental Gel is an easy and effective way to leave your cat’s teeth looking bright, shiny, and healthy.
Nylabone Advanced Dental Kit will help cats keep their teeth in tip-top condition all their lives.
- Fits cat’s mouths
- Scientifically formulated
- Easy for the cat’s mouths
Nylabone has created this cat-specific dental kit to make brushing cat’s teeth easier. It uses a combination of Nylabone’s Advanced Oral Care line and Denta-CTM that has been clinically proven to reduce plaque and stinky breath, causing bacterias.
The brush has been designed to fit the small contours of a cat’s mouth with no pain or struggle. The ultra-soft nylon tips clean between teeth better while the rubber massagers reduce plaque and tartar buildup.
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Is thicker and has a strong sweet smell some cats may not tolerate
Nylabone Advanced Dental Kit has made this cat-specific kit knowing cats have sensitive and smaller mouths that need careful attention.
Have an easier tooth care experience with the Mr. Groom Pet Dental Care Gel.
- Strong oral hygiene ingredients
- Natural ingredients used
- Easy to apply
Mr. Goom’s dental gel uses a combination of peppermint, eucalyptus, and wintergreen oils to clean your cat’s teeth and give them fresh breath.
The gel also contains coenzyme Q10 and chamomile to soothe your pet’s mouth while brushing, reduce plaque and tartar, and stop bad breath. Since it is a gel, you can easily squeeze it onto your brush of choice and clean away at your cat’s teeth.
- Cruelty-free gel
- Is more watery than a gel, which can be hard to apply on toothbrushes
The cleaning powers of Mr. Groom Pet Dental Care Gel will help ensure your feline will have strong, healthy teeth as they age.
Cats will not be able to resist the taste of the Petosan Anti-Tartar Toothpaste.
- Contains ingredients beneficial to dental health
- Uses small crystals
- Positive flavor
Brushing their teeth will become a positive experience thanks to the Petosan toothpaste. It uses pyrophosphates to control tartar buildup, hydrated silica for a mild abrasive to polish teeth, and uses small crystals to prevent teeth from wearing down.
You should have no problem using this toothpaste daily as it is made for daily maintenance rather than every-now-and-then maintenance. Plus, it is poultry flavored to give cats even more of a reason to enjoy having their teeth brushed.
- Best results if used daily
- Does not specify the flavoring agent that is used
Tartar will be an issue of the past when your cat’s teeth are maintained with Petosan Anti-Tartar Toothpaste
$12.99 in stock
- [ FIGHTS PLAQUE AND REDUCES TARTAR ] Introducing a new scientifically formulated toothpaste for dogs and cats with coactiv+ technology from bluestem. coactiv+ is a new formulation of food-grade ingredients. Our toothpaste fights plaque and reduces tartar which improves oral hygiene and freshens breath. This product has also been tested in vitro for it’s effectiveness. *Study available upon request.
- [ TESTED FOR EFFICACY ] Based on in vitro testing against 7 different pet oral bacteria and in comparison to 4 competitor toothpastes*, bluestem toothpaste was found to be very effective. Study available upon request.
- [ A TRUSTED COMPANY ] As fellow pet owner’s and lovers we understand the importance of safe products for our furry little friends, that’s why our products are made and tested in our laboratories here in North America. Our mission is to make sure we are looking out for your pets’ long term health.
- [ SAFE FOR DOGS AND CATS ] We’ve gone the extra mile to ensure that our pet toothpaste and toothbrush are safe for your pet. Our food-grade ingredients are alcohol-free, xylitol-free, and sugar-free. Dogs will like the chicken flavored toothpaste and humans will like their pets healthy mouth and fresh breath. IT’S A WIN – WIN. For optimal results, use in combination with bluestem water additive and bluestem oral spray.
- [ DUAL ENDED TOOTHBRUSH ] Our dual ended toothbrush allows the pet parent to reach both the inside and outside of the teeth at the same time. With our toothbrush and toothpaste combo you will be surprised at how enjoyable it is for your pet. If you’re looking for the best dog gifts of 2018, then why not surprise them with this great pet friendly product. Your pet or pet lover will be thrilled to receive this dog present for their birthday or even as a Christmas present.
Feel like both you and your cat will benefit from a good teeth brushing with the Bluestem Oral Care Kit.
- Fights plaque and tartar
- Dual-ended toothbrush
- Available with or without a toothbrush
Bluestem uses a toothbrush with Coactiv+ technology that uses food-grade ingredients to fight plaque, tartar, and freshen breaths. Bluestem has tested its toothpaste’s effectiveness and has discovered it can reduce seven different pet oral bacteria.
Alongside the amazing toothpaste, the kit comes with a dual-ended brush that helps you brush the inside and outside of the teeth with ease. But, if you have a toothbrush, you can purchase the toothpaste on its own.
- Available in chicken and vanilla flavor
- The toothbrush does not seem durable against heavy use
Stop wondering if your cat has healthy teeth or not, use the Bluestem Oral Care Kit, and be sure of it.
Now that you have seen some of the best options available and chosen the one that fits your cat’s dental needs best, you’ll then have to learn how to brush your cat’s teeth. Since cats have small mouths, you need to be careful when opening their mouths to not strain them or scare them.
To get your cat used to the brushing sensation, you can gently rub your fingers against their gums a bit at a time each day until they are used to it. You can then add a little bit of toothpaste to your finger so your cat can get a taste of it while you rub their gums.
With patience and a little bit of luck, you can slowly get your cat used to the sensation of a toothbrush rubbing their teeth. But don’t get upset if your cat does not take to the brushing quickly, they will eventually if you are determined.
Visit the PetStruggles homepage for more expert product reviews.
Choosing the best toothpaste for your cat is easy with our detailed reviews and ratings.
- Triple Pet EZ
- Mr. Groom