Though short in height, French Bulldogs are muscular dogs that belong to the Bully Breed. Since they are a Bully Breed, they have strong muscles and will burn energy faster throughout the day. To support the dietary needs of your Frenchie you need the best dog food for French Bulldogs.
These diets have plenty of protein for your French Bulldog to stay active and have healthy, lean muscles. But the best food for French Bulldog diets has to be low in calories since French Bulldogs do tend to overeat and gain excess weight.
It can be hard to figure out which food options to go with, especially with how many diets are lined up for you to see in pet food stores. Well, thanks to our helpful guide, you can start to limit the varieties of dog foods available for you to find the right one for your beloved French Bulldog.
Top-Rated Dog Foods For French Bulldogs
If you want to start your French Bulldog on the right step, then you need the best French Bulldog puppy food, like Canidae Grain-Free Pure Puppy Food.
- Contains nine key ingredients
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Made with whole foods
Canidae’s puppy formula only contains nine critical ingredients not to trigger allergies or to upset their sensitive stomachs. The nine main ingredients are chicken, menhaden fish meal, lentils, peas, potatoes, dried whole eggs, chicken fat, sun-cured alfalfa, and flaxseeds.
The whole foods provide an optimal level of nutrients that puppies need to grow, but additional nutrients are added to ensure puppies are getting the full spectrum of vitamins and minerals that they need to grow.
You will never find any filler ingredients like wheat, corn, and soy being used in this diet as they mainly serve to fill bellies rather than benefit a puppy’s body.
- Contains 30% of protein
- Available in 4-12-24 pound bags
- Contains no filler ingredients
- Contains chicken ingredients, so not ideal for dogs with poultry allergies
Puppies need high protein and extra calories to ensure that their little bodies grow up big and strong. Canidae Grain-Free Pure Puppy Food is sure to help your French Bulldog puppy blossom.
Not everyone likes to admit that they might have a chubby dog, so to help your Frenchie lose those extra pounds feed them Nutro Ultra Weight Management Dry Food.
- Specially formulated for overweight, less active dogs
- High-quality animal protein is the first ingredient used
- Contains no by-products or artificial ingredients
For their weight management formula, Nutro uses chicken, lamb, and salmon as the main animal proteins, which are lean animal proteins packed with essential nutrients.
In addition to the low-fat animal proteins, Nutro uses a blend of fifteen superfoods packed with essential vitamins and minerals that will help your Frenchie have a strong and well-supported body.
Nutro’s diets will not use by-product meals, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives, and will not use filler ingredients such as corn, wheat, or soy.
- Contains 23% of protein
- Has 10% of fat
- Available in 15 and 30-pound bags
- Might contain a trace amount of GMO ingredients due to potential cross contact during manufacturing
Your Frenchie will soon lose that extra weight their breeds are prone to gaining when you feed them Nutro Ultra Weight Management Dry Food.
Zignature Trout and Salmon Wet Food add extra taste and nutrients to your French Bulldog’s diet.
- Limited ingredient formula
- Contains no potatoes or grains
- Chicken free
Zignature always uses limited ingredients in their formulas to serve dogs with only nutrient-packed ingredients beneficial to their overall body health. Hypoallergenic meat is the first ingredient used to avoid triggering allergic reactions in your dog.
Both the trout and salmon are sourced from the Pacific Waters to ensure high-quality nutrition. There are no filler ingredients, potatoes, or by-products used since their purposes are questionable in the pet food world.
Zignature is formulated to offer your dog a nutritionally complete meal, so you can feed this wet food on its own or as an addition to your dog’s current dry food diet.
- Available in 13.5-ounce cans
- Contains 9% of protein
- Contains 5.5% of fat
- Includes legumes, which has recently become a controversial pet food ingredient
Even if you think your dog is eating a prime diet, it does not hurt to add Zignature Trout and Salmon Wet Food for an extra nutrient boost.
If you want to start feeding your French Bulldog a raw diet but are not sure where to start, start with the Sojos Complete Natural Raw Food Turkey Recipe.
- Turkey is the first protein used
- Contains wholesome ingredients
- Limited ingredients used
Sojos offers one of the best quality raw diets that best mimics the natural diets dogs in the wild may eat.
In this particular diet, Sojos uses wholesome turkey as the first ingredient, which has been carefully sourced, prepared, and dehydrated for consumption. The remaining ingredient list is small, and only includes superfood fruits and vegetables that provide a wide spectrum of nutritional content.
Feeding Sojos is simple as all you need to do add water, allow the food to rehydrate, and feed your beloved Frenchie a diet they will not be able to get enough of.
- Contains 28% protein
- Contains 12% fat
- Available in 1.75 and 7-pound bags
- The price point may be a bit high for some pet owners to afford
Sojos Complete Natural Raw Food Turkey Recipe allows your French Bulldog to eat a diet that best mimics the diet of their wild cousins.
If you are aiming to feed your French Bulldog a high-quality diet that borders being human food, then you need to feed them The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food Turkey Recipe.
- Ideal for all life stages
- Contains no by-products, preservatives, or filler ingredients
- 100% Human Grade recipe
- Dehydrated diet
Dogs of all ages will love the human-grade ingredients used in The Honest Kitchen diets. All of the ingredients are sourced in the USA to ensure high quality and nutrient-rich diets.
Since all of the ingredients are human-grade, it should be easy for your dog to digest and cause little stomach upsets. The Honest Kitchen is low carb, grain-free, and free of preservatives and non-beneficial filler ingredients.
When you are ready to serve your pup, add water to rehydrate, let sit a few minutes, then serve!
- Available in 2-4-10 pound box options
- Contains 29% of protein
- Made in the USA
- May not be an ideal diet for less active dogs
The Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Dog Food Turkey Recipe is a nutrient balanced diet sure to keep your Frenchie as healthy as possible.
Solid Gold Leaping Waters Wet Food adds an extra nutritional boost to your French Bulldog’s diet.
- High-quality animal protein is the first ingredient used
- Contains no grains or glutens
- Contains essential superfoods
Chicken and fish are the first, and main, proteins used in this wet food diet. Both proteins are hearty yet lean so that there is a less likely chance of dogs gaining unnecessary excess weight.
The remaining ingredients are holistic, fresh farm ingredients packed with essential nutrients dogs of all life stages can benefit from. You can consider this diet holistic since it is free of grains, wheat, corn, soy, and glutens that do not fully benefit dog health.
This wet food diet is fortified to supply a complete diet, so it can be served alone, but you can still add it to dry food for an extra nutritional boost.
- Available in 13.2-ounce cans
- Contains 8% of protein
- Ideal for all life stages
- Contains legumes, which is a controversial pet food ingredient
You can add Solid Gold Leaping Waters Wet Food to any dry food to ensure that your Frenchie has the full spectrum nutritional content that their bodies need.
Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Lamb Recipe is packed full of much-needed protein that dogs need to have a healthy mind and bodies.
- Uses all parts of the animals
- Uses a natural vitamin and mineral source
- Uses only one animal protein
Ziwi Peak uses an Air-Drying method to dehydrate their dog foods in a way that captures the highest nutrient content possible. All of the ingredients are sourced in free-range or grass-fed environments in New Zealand for optimal nutritional content.
Ziwi also uses all of the parts of the single animal protein source they use; organs, bones, and meat; everything is used for the highest protein and nutritional content to benefit your dog highly.
Since there is only one animal protein used, there is a decreased chance of triggering a food allergy, promotes healthy skin and coat, improves digestion, and supports overall joint mobility.
- Available in 2.2-5.5-8.8 pound bag options, and a 16-ounce bag option
- Contains 35% of protein
- Contains a high protein content, so not ideal for less active dogs
Improve your Frenchie’s overall health by merely feeding them Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Lamb Recipe.
Royal Canin Breed Health French Bulldog Formula offers your Frenchie all of the nutrients their special bodies need.
- Specially tailored for French Bulldogs over a year old
- Supports a French Bulldog’s overall health
- Easy to eat kibble sizes for their mouths
French Bulldogs have an adorably squished muzzles, so they need special kibble sizes that are easy for them to pick up and chew.
Each kibble is packed with essential ingredients that provide joint support and promote positive digestive health since some Frenchies are prone to having sensitive stomachs. The proteins used are lean and contain optimal levels of L-Carnitine, which is ideal for developing and maintaining healthy muscles.
High-quality carbohydrates and fiber ensure that your French Bulldog will have regular bowel movements and less gas. Best of all, your Frenchie can stay on this diet all through their life stages.
- Contains 24% of protein
- Has 16% of fat
- Comes in 6 and 17-pound bag options
- Contains wheat and grain as the first few ingredients, so risks the food is mainly composed of filler ingredients
You cannot go wrong with feeding your Frenchie Royal Canin Breed Health French Bulldog Formula if you want them to be in a healthy state.
Weruva Dogs in the Kitchen Variety Pack lets you spoil your Frenchie with different healthy meat options.
- The pack comes with six flavors
- Uses high-quality animal proteins
- Contains a beneficial blend of added nutrients
You get two pouches of the six flavors offered by Weruva Dogs in the Kitchen in this pack. Each flavor uses high-quality animal proteins as the first ingredient for an optimal protein source.
Some of these flavors offer extra vegetables in the mix, but for those that do not, essential nutrients are added during the manufacturing stage to ensure a full spectrum diet.
You can see the ingredients used, so you know what you are feeding your Frenchie before serving them. This wet food is best used as a dietary supplement rather than being served on its own.
- Has at least 8% of protein, depending on the flavor
- Comes in 2.8-ounce pouches
- Only available in the smaller pouch sizes
Your Frenchie will love every beneficial flavor that Weruva Dogs in the Kitchen Variety Pack will offer.
- ORIJEN Senior dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
- ORIJEN dog food is made in our DogStar Kitchen, in Kentucky. For more information, please contact our Customer Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.939.0006.
Once your Frenchie has hit their senior years, you need to feed them a diet that will keep them healthy without gaining excess weight, which is what the Orijen Senior Dry Food Formula aims to offer.
- Uses all-natural animal proteins
- Contains whole fruits and vegetables
- Contains no filler ingredients
Orijen has carefully crafted its senior formula to meet all of the nutritional needs that senior dogs need. 85% of the formula contains quality animal proteins that promote an active lifestyle, strong joints, and lean muscles.
Whole fruits and vegetables are used to provide a full spectrum of nutritional content that ensures your senior dog will have both a healthy mind and body. When you feed your Frenchie Orijen, you should see them still be as active as usual, maybe even more so.
- Contains 38% of protein
- Available in 12 ounces, 4.5-13-25 pound bag options
- Kibble sizes may be too large for smaller mouths
Your Frenchie will continue to have a lean and strong body when you feed them Orijen Senior Dry Food Formula.
When it comes to finding the right food for your French Bulldog, you need to look for diets that have a deep protein level made out of lean animal proteins. You also want to avoid diets that are high in carbohydrates to prevent your French Bulldog from getting spikes in their blood sugar.
Many French Bulldogs are prone to having food-related allergies, so start your French Bulldog on a diet that has little to no grains, does not use a high allergy-causing animal protein, or does not contain any ingredients that you know causes allergies or stomach issue in your French Bulldog.
Most of all, though, you want to make sure that your French Bulldog loves the diet that you are offering them. If your French Bulldog does not even eat the food you are offering them, they will get no benefits.
Experiment around with the different best dog food options that we have suggested, and you will be sure to find the one that fits your French Bulldogs needs the best.
Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs
Check out our review of the best dog food for French Bulldogs on the market today.
- CANIDAE PURE
- Nutro Ultra
- Honest Kitchen
- Solid Gold
- Ziwi Peak
- Royal Canin