Inflammatory Bowel Disease is a syndrome that causes painful reactions in the dog’s intestinal tract. Dogs who suffer from IBD tend to vomit chronically, have diarrhea, and may not have the biggest appetite. It is not fully understood what causes IBD, but the results are all the same with the lining of the dog’s intestine being attacked by inflammatory cells.
If your dog suffers from IBD, then they need the best dog food for IBD. Dogs who have IBD cannot digest certain types of proteins, and the proteins could make the syndrome worse for your dog.
The best foods for dogs with IBD are typically hypoallergenic foods with high fiber and only contain a single animal protein source. By focusing on the best dog food for inflammatory bowel disease, you will be able to figure better out what exactly is causing IBD in your dog. Our list of suggested foods should help you start treating your dog’s IBD before it gets worse.
Best Dog Food For IBD
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00WUIG7BG” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]1. Sunday Sunrise – Grain-Free[/easyazon_link]
Sunday Sunrise - Grain-Free
- REAL LAMB 1st INGREDIENT: Packed with pasture-fed lamb for high density protein and a unique blend of functional superfoods to promote gut health and overall immune support.
- NATURAL & GRAIN FREE: Sunday Sunrise is purposely crafted to support a healthy metabolism with nutrient rich ingredients like sweet potatoes for a healthy metabolism and digestive support while remaining grain and gluten free.
- ALLERGEN & SENTITIVITY FRIENDLY: Specially formulated with pasture-fed lamb and egg provide powerful protein. This recipe is iron rich for muscle health to keep your dog happy and healthy. Great for dogs with chicken protein allergy.
- PROTECTED PROBIOTICS: Combined with fiber-rich prebiotics, our patented, protected living probiotics stay alive and viable until consumed. Carefully selected superfoods, living probiotics, and omega fatty acids cleanse, balance, and fuel to support your pet’s gut health and overall immune support.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Started over 40 years ago by Sissy McGill Solid Gold has had one mission to deliver the highest quality holistic pet foods on the market. If for any reason you are not satisfied please contact us.
You can start to work on what is triggering IBD in your dog by feeding them the Holistic diet of Solid Gold Sunday Sunrise.
- Has two animal proteins
- Contains high levels of natural fruits and vegetables
Solid Gold Sunday Sunrise only includes lamb and Ocean Fish meal as the primary protein sources, which are both lean in fat. Since this diet only uses two animal proteins, you should be able to see if your dog’s IBD flares up, and if it does then you can avoid the two animal proteins in this diet.
If your dog does not have flare-ups, then they can continue to enjoy this holistic diet packed with over 20 superfoods that will provide your dog with the ideal level of nutrients they need to maintain a healthy body.
- Available in 4 and 24-pound bags
- Contains 22% of protein
- Contains 12% of fat
- Contains peas, which some have claimed to be controversial pet food ingredients
By feeding your dog Solid Gold Sunday Sunrise, it can potentially help reduce IBD symptoms and allow your dog to have a normal stomach again.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B005Q2OU58″ locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]2. Halo Natural Dry Dog Food[/easyazon_link]
Halo Natural Dry Dog Food
- COMPARE: WHOLE chicken, never ANY rendered "meat meal," like "chicken meal" or "fish meal"
- Super digestibility, providing more bioavailable nutrients to your small breed dog, the Proof is in the Poop
- Small breed dog food made with WHOLE chicken and chicken liver, nourishing grains, and non-GMO vegetables
- Smaller, nutrient dense kibble made for small breed dogs' smaller mouths, short digestive tracts, and higher metabolism
- Halo supports ranchers and farmers who say "yes" to responsible animal husbandry and "no" to the use of GMO feeds, and sources wild caught seafood from sustainable fisheries.
Since Halo Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe only use chicken as the main animal protein, you should quickly be able to see if your dog’s IBD flares up or not.
- Chicken is the only animal protein used
- Provides bioavailable nutrients
- Only uses organically sourced ingredients
- No harmful chemicals are ever used
Whole chicken is always the first ingredient used, never a by-product or any questionable meal. The chicken used are all raised organically with no added hormones, so your dog can get the highest quality protein available to them.
Thanks to the nourishing grains and NON-GMO vegetables used, your dog will have access to bioavailable nutrients that not only benefit their stomachs but their entire intestinal tract. So long as your dog has healthy-looking stool, then the diet is supporting their whole body. And since the bites are small, your small pup should have no problem eating and chewing the kibble sizes.
- Available in a 4 and 24-pound bag
- Contains 27% of protein
- Includes 17% of fat
- Contains barley, so not ideal for dogs with known grain allergies
Small dogs suffer from IBD too, so test what may be triggering their IBD by feeding them the small breed-specific diet of Halo Chicken and Chicken Liver Recipe.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B01K45RQCU” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]3. Nutri Source Pure Vita [/easyazon_link]
Nutri Source Pure Vita
- For All Life Stages
- Made In The Usa
- Excellent Palatability
If you are trying to figure out if red meat is an excellent alternative meal for your dog with IBD, then try feeding them Nutri Source Pure Vita Beef and Red Lentils, a Holistic diet alternative.
- Beef is the first ingredient used
- Easy to digest
- Packed with essential nutrients
Beef is the first ingredient used in this diet, and all of the beef has been sourced from trusted farmers and have been raised as naturally as possible to ensure the highest protein content for your dog. This diet uses green and red lentils, which offer your dog a quality fiber source that helps their stomachs stay regular.
Pure Vita is a limited ingredient diet to ensure that your dog can digest the diet and will not have an adverse reaction to the ingredients. Rest assured, every ingredient will benefit your dog so that they will have a full spectrum nutrient content available to them.
- Available in 5-15-25-pound bag options
- Contains 28% of protein
- Contains 16% of fat
- Contains a high amount of lentils, which some pet owners may claim to be controversial pet food ingredients
Both you and your dog will love the healthy and stomach pleasing diet of Nutri Source Pure Vita Beef and Red Lentils.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B07BRKQ7FG” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]4. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free [/easyazon_link]
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Grain Free: 100% Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Protein Focused Nutrition: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By-Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
Lamb is a great lean protein to use if your dog suffers from IBD, and Wellness Core Lamb Diet is packed full of lamb.
- Lamb is the only protein used
- Packed with essential probiotics
This diet from Wellness offers dogs 56% of their needed protein without any extra, unnecessary fat. Since the meat is lean, your dog should not have issues gaining unnecessary weight and should still develop strong muscles. Wellness Core also infuses antioxidants, glucosamine hydrochloride, and probiotics so that your whole dog’s body is healthy, inside and out.
Superfoods and other supplements have been added so that your dog gets a full spectrum nutrient diet. Without the addition of grains, your dog should not have an allergic reaction and should have a less likely chance of having their IBD flare-up.
- Available in 4-12-22-pound bag options
- Contains 33% of protein
- Contains 15% of fat
- Contains Tomato Pomace, which is believed to be a controversial pet food ingredient
Since Wellness Core Lamb Diet only uses lamb as the main protein, your dog should not react to this diet if their IBD is not triggered by lamb.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00U1BUZRG” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]5. Canine Caviar Dry All Holistic [/easyazon_link]
Canine Caviar Dry All Holistic
- Holistic Dog Food – Unique Alkaline Limited Ingredient Diet, balanced diet formulation with One Protein – Lamb and one Complex Carbohydrate – Pearl Millet
- Gluten Free – premium quality dog food that is Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Tapioca and Potato Free, no Egg, no Soy, no Corn, no Dairy and No GMOs
- Hypoallergenic Dog Food – No additives or by-products added, easily digestible. Nutrient dense and allergy friendly
- Wholesome Dog Food – Specially formulated for Protein Rotation Feeding
- Alkaline Dog Food –Dog food with no fillers, no artificial colors or flavors, no artificial preservatives. Open Meadow dog food is ideal for dogs with allergies and sensitive digestive tracts
When striving to provide your dog with IBD a diet that will not upset their stomach, try feeding them Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet Open Meadow Entree.
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Contains a single protein
- Limited ingredient diet
Canine Caviar Open Meadow Entree uses limited ingredients, making this diet hypoallergenic and ideal for dogs known for having allergies towards specific proteins and ingredients. Dogs who suffer from IBD would greatly benefit from this diet from Canine Caviar as it is specially made with sensitive stomachs in mind; your dog will be able to digest this diet with no issues.
Canine Caviar is low sodium and gluten-free so that dogs with specific diet allergies will be able to eat their food happily. Your dog’s skin and coat will be sleek and smooth with Canine Caviar, and they should develop strong muscles and bones.
- Contains 25% of protein
- Contains 15% of fat
- Available in 4.4-11-22-pound bag options
- Pearl Millet is the second ingredient used, so it risks being used as a filler ingredient
Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Diet, Open Meadow Entree, is one of the better diets you can turn to avoid irritating your dog’s stomach further.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00LB2UOCK” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]6. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet[/easyazon_link]
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
- STARTS WITH REAL SALMON: A recipe that starts with real salmon as the first ingredient, this adult dry dog food features a single animal protein source along with potatoes, peas and pumpkin to support gentle digestion in your dog without the grains that contain gluten.
- LIMITED INGREDIENT DOG FOOD: BLUE Basics is a limited ingredient grain free dog food that doesn’t contain any chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy or eggs making it a good option for dogs with food sensitivities. Plus, it’s specifically formulated with essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet energy requirements and promote a healthy lifestyle.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your adult dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains (1) 22lb bag of BLUE Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Salmon & Potato
Limit the chance of your dog having an adverse reaction to their food by feeding them Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato Recipe.
- Salmon is the only protein used
- Minimizes food sensitivities
- Contains no common food allergy-triggering ingredients
Deboned salmon is the first ingredient used in this formula. Salmon is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids, which is beneficial in helping your dog maintain healthy skin, fur, and an active stomach. Blue Basics uses only a few ingredients to minimize allergic or stomach irritations. Each ingredient used is meant to benefit your dog to provide them a complete and balanced diet.
You will not find any chicken, poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, dairy or eggs in this diet as they are known for being high allergy triggers. Your dog will have a happy belly without the inflammation caused by their IBD.
- Available in 12 and 24-pound bag options
- Contains 20% of protein
- Contains 12% of fat
- Contains oats as the second ingredient, so it may risk the diet being filler ingredient heavy
Blue Buffalo Basics Salmon and Potato Recipe will fill your dog’s stomach with little to no irritation on their IBD.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00KIPQPEC” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]7. Nature’s Recipe Grain Free [/easyazon_link]
Nature's Recipe Grain Free
- Contains 1 - 12 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Natural dog food, with added vitamins, minerals and nutrients
- Grain free recipe – contains nutrient dense carbohydrate sources like sweet potato and pumpkin
- No added corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal, artificial colors or flavors
Ease your dog’s stomach irritations by feeding them the easy to digest diet of Nature’s Recipe Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Pumpkin Recipe.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient used
- Designed with ingredients meant to be gentle on the stomach
- Contains natural ingredients and nutrients
Real chicken is the primary ingredient used in this diet as it is easy for dogs to digest. Nature’s Recipe adds both pumpkin and sweet potato to help your dog’s stomach have regular bowel movements crucial for dogs who are suffering from IBD.
You will find no stomach irritating ingredients, like corn, wheat or soy protein, in this diet to ensure that your dog’s stomach will remain happy and healthy. All of the ingredients used are natural, and with the addition of added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, your dog will get the full spectrum diet that they need.
- Available in 4-12-24-pound bag options
- Contains 27% of protein
- Contains 12% of fat
- Contains chicken, so not ideal for dogs with known poultry allergies
You will be glad to see your dog having less stomach issue when they are eating the diet of Nature’s Recipe Chicken, Sweet Potato, and Pumpkin Recipe.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B00K0E963I” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]8. Holistic Select Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food[/easyazon_link]
Holistic Select Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Grain Free: Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Quality Ingredients: Nutritious And Delicious Recipe, Made With Quality Ingredients And Premium Protein From Real Turkey
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Meat By-Products, Wheat, Wheat-Gluten Or Artificial Colors, Flavors Or Fillers
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Holistic Select Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
Treat your dog’s stomach right by feeding them Holistic Select Turkey Recipe.
- Contains only one animal protein
- Has an assortment of superfoods
Holistic Select uses turkey as the main animal protein to not trigger adverse reactions from dogs with known sensitivities. There are no potatoes; instead, lentils and chickpeas provide dogs with the needed vitamins and minerals. Live, naturally occurring microorganisms have been added to promote a healthy digestive tract. A healthy supply of antioxidant-rich superfoods has been added to promote overall body health.
- Available in 4-12-24-pound bag options
- Contains 32% of protein
- Contains 14% of fat
- Not ideal for dogs with poultry allergies
Holistic Select Turkey Recipe will ease inflammation in your dog’s stomach if they suffer from IBD.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B004MJQ6YY” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]9. Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free[/easyazon_link]
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free
- Formulated without grain, gluten or potatoes, this special formula is ideal as a high-protein, grain-free alternative diet.
- Herring meal, salmon meal and Pacific Whiting meal provide high-quality protein sources to help develop and sustain energy and muscle function.
- Antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits, such as peas, blueberries, cranberries, apples, carrots and spinach are important for everyday optimal health. Vitamins, minerals and beta-carotene help maintain your dog's immune system.
- Balanced Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids play a vital role in establishing the lipid barrier of the skin, supporting healthy maintenance of your dog’s skin and coat.
- Packaging is BPA-free, resealable, and 100% recyclable through the Earthborn ReBorn Program.
Holistic diets, like Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch, will help ease most stomach issues.
- Only contains fish proteins
- Made with antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch uses a combination of fish proteins that provides high-quality protein that will aid in your dog developing strong muscles and boundless energy. Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables have been added so that your dog gets the optimal vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that their bodies need to stay in top shape. All of the ingredients are high quality, and there are no grains, gluten, or potatoes added, which could further irritate a dog suffering from IBD.
- Available in 5-14-28-pound bags
- Contains 32% of protein
- Contains 18% of fat
- Contains peas, which some claim to be controversial pet food ingredients
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch will appease your dog’s appetite without harming their stomachs.
[easyazon_link identifier=”B002BRD65Q” locale=”US” tag=”petstruggles-20″]10. ACANA Singles Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food[/easyazon_link]
ACANA Singles Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- ACANA Singles Lamb & Apple dog food is a limited-ingredient, nutrient-dense and high in protein, nourishing dogs completely with whole grass-fed lamb and delicious Red Delicious apples
- With rich inclusions of quality animal ingredients, ACANA dog food uses meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, delivering the nutrients dogs need naturally
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, from regional farms, ranches, and waters, and delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw
- Grain-free, with no gluten, potato, or tapioca, common in today’s pet foods, ACANA dog food is crafted from whole, quality animal ingredients for a Biologically Appropriate diet that nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Made in our own kitchen in Kentucky. For more information, please contact our Customer Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.939.0006.
ACANA Singles LID Lamb and Apple Recipe is a right recipe choice to turn to if your dog suffers from IBD.
- Single animal protein
- Combines fresh and dried ingredients
- Contains no plant-replacement proteins
In this diet from ACANA, lamb is the only protein used. The lamb meat is not only used, though, as the liver, fat, cartilage, and tripe are used so that your dog will have the high protein source they need. To balance out the diet, a healthy supply of fruits and vegetables have been added both dried and fresh so that your dog will get all of the essential nutrients that their bodies need.
- Available in 12-ounce 4.5-13-25-pound bag options
- Contains 31% of protein
- Contains 17% of fat
- Contains lentils and peas, which some believe to be controversial pet food ingredients
Your dog will love the taste of ACANA Singles LID Lamb and Apple Recipe, especially since it will ease their IBD.
Now that you know which foods are ideal for helping to treat your dog for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, you can start your dog on a food trial diet. During a food trial diet, you are feeding your dog the single diet exclusively for up to twelve weeks and are monitoring them for flared up symptoms of IBD or not.
Testing your dog on one diet may not be enough to get the full picture or idea of what is causing IBD in your dog, so you may have to try several of our suggested diets to get a better spectrum idea of what is affecting your dog.
You will also need to avoid feeding your dog treats and people food during the diet trials as any outside source can drastically change the results of the tests. But, so long as you are sticking to any of the diets we have suggested your dog should still get the full nutrient source that their bodies need.
Once you figure out what is causing IBD in your dog, you can keep your dog on a safer diet and can start them on any medication that they may need.
Best Dog Food For IBD
Read through our review of the best dog food for IBD on the market today to find the most suitable dog food for your beloved furbabies.
- Sunday Sunrise - Grain-Free
- Halo Natural Dry Dog Food
- Nutri Source Pure Vita
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Canine Caviar Dry All Holistic
- Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
- Nature's Recipe Grain Free
- Holistic Select Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain Free
- ACANA Singles Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food