We love our furry companions, our longtime best friend that will stand by with us no matter what we go through. While we love the companionship that they bring us, we do not always enjoy the little gifts that they leave behind, in this case, their fur.
Dogs shed to remove any dead fur in their undercoat to help them accommodate the weather. Other times, though, dogs may shed due to a poor diet. To help with diet-related shedding, you need to use the best dog food for shedding.
Dog food that helps with shedding provides your pup with the essential Omega Fatty Acids that help them maintain both healthy skin and healthy fur. Dog foods with high amounts of Omega Fatty Acids have a type of fish as the primary animal protein.
Your dog’s breath may get a bit smelly due to the fishy diet, but a bit of stinky breath is well worth it if your dog has a healthy appearance.
Top-Rated Dog Food For Shedding
Zignature Catfish Formula is naturally packed with high protein and Omega Fatty Acids that are sure to help dogs out who are prone to having substantial shedding issues.
- Catfish is the first ingredient used
- Free of grains, potatoes, and chicken
- Contains 3% Omega Fatty Acids per serving
Zignature tends to use only one animal protein in their formulas to not trigger an allergic reaction in your dog and so that they can get the full health benefits of the main protein source. Catfish naturally contains high protein, which is ideal for active dogs.
Catfish also contains healthy fats, amino acids, and Omega Fatty Acids that can benefit dogs with food sensitivities and ensure that your dog has a healthy body inside and out. Zignature’s Catfish formula is as closest to natural as your dog can eat so it will regulate hormone levels, maintain lean muscle mass, and ensure a healthy heart.
With no corn, wheat, soy, dairy, or chicken products, this formula is hypoallergenic and considered a premium dog food.
- Ingredients sourced in the USA
- Available in 4, 13.5, and 27 lbs bag options
- Also available in a wet food formula
- Contains chickpeas and sunflower oil, which have been controversial ingredients in pet foods
Whether you feed your dog Zignature Catfish Formula as dry food or wet food you should start to see positive changes in the health of their fur and less shed fur on your clothes.
Real salmon is the first ingredient of the Crave with Protein from Salmon and Ocean Formula to ensure that your dog will have a direct Omega Fatty Acid source from the start.
- Real salmon is the first ingredient used
- Contains 2% of Omega Fatty Acids per portion
- Grain-free formula
- Includes wholesome fruits and vegetables
34% of Crave’s formula is made up of animal ingredients to offer your dog a high animal protein source that will best benefit the health of their overall body.
Real salmon is the first ingredient used and has been naturally sourced from the wild and has not been touched with preservatives or antibiotics that could potentially harm your dog. Salmon typically holds high sources of Omega-6 Fatty Acids that will benefit your dog’s skin and coat.
Fish is not the only animal protein used, but the other animal proteins will still provide your dog with energy and much-needed calories for an active lifestyle. You will not find any grains in this dry food formula, so your dog will have filling ingredients that will benefit their health, not just fill their bellies.
- Has a high animal protein source
- Ideal for adult dogs of all breeds
- Contains chicken meal, so this is not an ideal diet for dogs with poultry allergies
Crave with Protein from Salmon and Ocean Fish Formula is a great start to start trying to improve the quality of your dog’s fur coat to minimize shedding issues.
Provide your dog with a formula that best mimics what they would eat naturally in the wild by feeding them Blue Wilderness Adult Salmon Formula.
- Contains 3.5% of Omega-Fatty Acids per portion
- Uses two different fish proteins
- Animal protein is the first ingredient used
- Contains no artificial ingredients or grains
Real, deboned salmon is the first ingredient used in this dry food dog diet, which provides your beloved pup with the beneficial Omega-6 Fatty Acids. Menhaden Fish Meal is also used in this diet, which provides your dog with a prime source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Both Fatty Acids work together to help your dog’s skin feel smooth and not flake while also helping their fur be sleek, shiny, and shed less. Grains are never used in this diet, but instead, it uses sweet potatoes, peas, and potatoes to give your dog the healthy carbohydrates that they need.
The addition of blueberries, cranberries, and carrots provide antioxidants that improve your dog’s immune system. Blue Wilderness will satisfy your dog’s health needs as naturally as possible with no corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, or preservatives ever used.
- Comes in 4.5, 11, and 24-pound bag options
- Utilizes Blue’s LifeSource Bits
- Contains natural fruits and vegetables
- Uses chicken fat for flavor, so this is not an ideal food source for dogs with poultry allergies
Blue Wilderness Adult Salmon Formula will satisfy your dog’s cravings while also helping make their shedding issue become less of a dilemma for you in the long run.
Dogs love the taste of fish just as much as cats do, so provide them with the fishy taste that they crave by feeding them Victor Yukon River Formula.
- Contains 2.8% of Omega Fatty Acids per portion
- Fish protein is the first ingredient used
- Contains no grains
- Contains proteins from both animal and plant ingredients
Menhaden fish meal is the first ingredient used in Victor’s Yukon River Formula, which provides your dog with an optimal Fatty Acid source as well as a high protein source. 74% of the proteins offered in this diet come from animal sources, which satisfies your dog’s natural cravings and needs.
The remaining 26% of the protein source comes from plants and vegetables, which also provide vitamins and nutrients that a dog’s body needs but is not always offered in other typical dry dog food diets.
Since this diet does not use any grains, it is an ideal diet for dogs with allergies or sensitivities to grains as well as avoids your dog only eating filler ingredients that will not benefit their body inside and out.
- Good for all life stages
- Ideal for all breeds
- Suitable for dogs with an average activity level
- Uses meal products, which can be questionable on what is used to make the meal products
Victor Yukon River Formula is a protein-rich diet that will benefit your dog inside and out, and make you feel better about giving your dog a diet that will help with their shedding issues.
The Honest Kitchen Limited Ingredient Fish Recipe provides human-grade meals for your dog that will fill them up and support their overall body health.
- Contains about 3% of Omega Fatty Acids
- Only uses six ingredients
- Fish protein is the first ingredient
All of the ingredients used by The Honest Kitchen have been dehydrated for secure storage and serving as it only needs water to rehydrate before serving. There truly are only six ingredients used in this fish recipe, which are white fish, organic coconut, chickpeas, pumpkin, celery, and spinach.
Each element supports your dog’s overall health in their way, be it by minerals, vitamins, or other essential nutrients. The ingredients are grown and sourced in the USA from human-grade sources, so, theoretically, you could eat this food as well.
That should make you feel confident that you have taken the extra step to provide your dog with high-quality dog food that will provide them with all of the nutritional content that they will need to have happy, healthy, and less shedding lives.
- Made of human-grade ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Contains no by-products, preservatives, corn, wheat, soy, or GMO ingredients
- Good for all life stages
- Price of this food may be too much for some pet owners to afford
Not all limited ingredient diets are limited, but The Honest Kitchen Limited Ingredient Fish Recipe is truly limited, so your dog only eats beneficial ingredients, not filler ingredients.
Holistic Select Anchovy and Sardine and Salmon Meal Recipe have one of the higher levels of Omega Fatty Acids that dogs with shedding issues will benefit from.
- Contains 4.50% of Omega Fatty Acids
- Fish protein is the first two ingredients
- Contains natural and nutrient-rich ingredients
Both anchovy and sardines are used to provide your dog with essential Omega-3 Fatty Acids that help support both healthy skin and fur in your dog. The addition of salmon oil and flaxseed further help keep the outward appearance of your dog the healthiest possible.
Key ingredients add essential prebiotics, probiotics, and natural fibers that will keep your dog’s intestinal health at optimal levels. Antioxidant-rich superfoods support cellular health while fruits and vegetables provide critical vitamins and minerals for a healthy immune system.
Not many dry dog foods use live yogurt cultures as Holistic Select does, but they increase the number of good bacteria in your dog’s gut to enhance digestion and promote regularity.
- Available in 4, 15, and 30-pound bag options
- Potato-free recipe
- Easy to digest formula
- Contains rice, oats, and yeast, which some pet owners feel are used as filler ingredients
Give your dog a protein and Omega-rich diet by feeding them Holistic Select Anchovy and Sardine and Salmon Meal Recipe.
Purina One Salmon and Tuna Formula is a good basic dry dog food to start with if you want to start adding more fish to your dog’s diet.
- Contains 2.2% of Omega Fatty Acids per serving
- Salmon is the first ingredient used
- Contains added and beneficial essential nutrients
Salmon is the first ingredient used in this dry dog food diet, which is a good source of essential Omega Fatty Acids that will give your dog a radiant coat and healthier skin. It is packed with four sources of antioxidants that will ensure that your dog will have a healthy immune system.
Natural sources of glucosamine promote healthy joints in your dog so they can be active longer no matter their age. Purina One guarantees that you will start to see major improvements in your dog’s overall health in just 28 days.
- Highly digestible diet
- Contains no by-product meals, artificial flavors, or preservatives
- Contains 30% of protein
- Contains corn, soy, rice, and grains, which has been used as filler ingredients rather than beneficial ingredients
Purina One Salmon and Tuna Formula will slowly start to improve the health of your dog’s skin and fur and help you have less shed hair to deal with daily.
- ORIJEN Six Fish dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole fish ingredients from Atlantic mackerel, herring, monkfish, Acadian redfish, flounder, and silver hake
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
- ORIJEN dog food is made in our DogStar Kitchen, in Kentucky. For more information, please contact our Customer Care team at email@example.com or 877.939.0006.
Why settle for one fish protein in your dog’s diet when you can feed your pup six different fish proteins thanks to the Orijen Six Fish Formula.
- Utilizes six different fish proteins
- Has 4.4% of Omega Fatty Acids
- Uses fresh and wild-caught fish
- Contains no filler ingredients
Orijen makes their six fish formula out of Pilchard, Mackerel, Hake, Flounder, Rockfish, and Sole. 2/3 of the fish used are fresh or raw that are refrigerated or flash-frozen without using any form of preservatives.
The remaining 1/3 of the fish used are dried to create a concentrate rich with protein. For an extra fish boost, Orijen also uses Herring, Alaskan Cod, Sardines, and Blue Whiting for a richer source of proteins and Omega Fatty Acids.
With how many fish proteins are used in this diet, it is not surprising that 85% of the formula is made up of high-quality animal ingredients. The remaining 15% is made of whole fruits and vegetables that have not been treated with preservatives or other harmful ingredients.
- Uses both fresh animal proteins and fresh produce
- Mimics the natural diet of a wolf for dogs to benefit from
- Can be fed at all life stages
- Contains lentils and chickpeas, which have been controversial ingredients in pet foods
By utilizing the Omega Fatty Acid powers of all of the fish in the Orijen Six Fish Formula, your dog’s fur will be as sleek and shiny as when they were a puppy.
- ACANA Freshwater Fish food is nutrient-dense and high in protein, nourishing dogs completely with whole, wild-caught rainbow trout, blue catfish, and yellow perch
- With rich inclusions of quality animal ingredients, ACANA dog food uses meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, delivering the nutrients dogs need naturally
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, from regional farms, ranches, and waters, and delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw
- Grain-free, with no gluten, potato, or tapioca, common in today’s pet foods, ACANA dog food is crafted from whole, quality animal ingredients for a Biologically Appropriate diet that nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Made in our own kitchen in Kentucky. For more information, please contact our Customer Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.939.0006.
Acana Freshwater Fish Formula uses 7 ¾ pounds of fresh and quality fish proteins in each bag of food to give your dog the highest sources of Omega Fatty Acids Acana can.
- Uses three different fish proteins
- Uses wholesome vegetables, fruits, and botanicals
- Contains no grains, potatoes, or glutens
- Offers 3% of Omega Fatty Acids per portion
Acana’s Freshwater Fish formula uses 60% of fresh fish protein in their recipe. 2 ¼ pound of Rainbow Trout, 1 ¼ pound of Blue Catfish, and a ½ pound of White Perch are used per bag of dog food. As well, Acana uses 3 ¾ pounds of Catfish, Cod, and Mackerel for an extra animal protein boost.
Half of the fish used is raw while the other half is dried to ensure that your dog will get the full spectrum of health benefits that fish naturally have to offer. The remaining 40% of the ingredients used are whole vegetables, fruits, and botanicals to add essential vitamins and minerals to your dog’s diet.
Your dog’s entire body will benefit from this diet, not just their coat and shedding issues.
- Naturally palatable
- Is considered a whole prey superfood
- Biologically appropriate
- Good for all life stages
- Uses different types of legumes, which some pet owners feel can be used as filler ingredients
Acana Freshwater Fish Formula is sure to benefit your dog’s health inside and out with the quality animal protein and produce a blend.
- Fromm Four-Star Nutritionals Salmon Tunalini Food For Dogs Is Formulated To Meet The Nutritional Levels Established By The Aafco Dog Food Nutrient Profiles For All Life Stages
- Relevant For Dogs Only
- Daily Feeding Recommendations
The Fromm Salmon Tunalini is a tasty dry dog food that is carefully cooked and formulate to meet your dog’s health needs overall, not just in their fur.
- Salmon is the first ingredient used and main animal protein
- Provides an optimal protein source
- Uses an assortment of healthy fruits and vegetables
Fresh and whole salmon and salmon meal are the first two ingredients used in this dry dog food diet to ensure your dog will have a high animal protein source and a great source of natural Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Tuna and Sardines are also used to provide natural Omega Fatty Acids that will boost the health of the natural oils that your dog’s skin produces that keep their skin healthy and their fur looking as shiny as it did when your dog was a puppy.
The addition of wholesome fruits and vegetables further gives your dog the much needed essential nutrients. Each batch of Fromm’s food is cooked in small batches so that there is higher quality control and to make sure that there is no risk that your dog will be exposed to any harmful ingredients or contaminants.
- Available in 4, 12, and 26-pound bag options
- Ideal for all life stages
- Suitable for all dog breed sizes
- Contains chicken ingredients, so it is not an ideal food source for dogs with poultry allergies
Give your dog the four-star diet that they deserve by feeding them Fromm Salmon Tunalini.
Some fish used in dry dog food have higher Omega Fatty Acids than other fish, so you need to be sure that you are providing your dog with the right amount of the Fatty Acids that they need. To help you find the right fish for your dog, take a look at just how much they shed.
If you feel like it is at an average level, then you may only need a dry dog food that has one fish protein. But if you can make another dog with how much fur you have gathered, then you are going to need various fish proteins in the dry dog food.
Of course, the food itself is not going to help your dog’s shedding issues; you will need to commit some time to brush your dog. By brushing your dog, you can potentially minimize the shed fur that you find, and you will not feel like the dry dog food you have chosen is not helping as much as you had hoped.
With both combined shedding should become less of a problem in your household.
Best Dog Food For Shedding
Use our review of the best dog food for shedding as a guide to help you decide which brand to buy for your beloved pets.
- Blue Buffalo
- Victor Select
- Honest Kitchen Limited
- Holistic Select
- Purina ONE
- Acana Heritage
- Fromm Four-Star