Dogs are wonderful pets, they’ll forever be man’s (and woman’s!) best friend. They’re loyal and loveable, the perfect combination!
But, when they’re young, you need to be able to help teach them some ground rules, or perhaps there are some rooms that you want to help keep dog free. Like the kitchen, or bedroom for example.
Either way, the effective way to start setting boundaries with your tail-wagging best bud is usually with one of the best dog gates you can find. These, like baby gates, are made to just help keep your little friend out of certain rooms and are made specifically to keep dogs in.
But where do you start in searching for the perfect dog gate? Well, worry not our fellow dog lovers, we’ve compiled together a list of the best doggie gates that will help you train your little friend to be even more perfect.
So, where shall we start?
Top-Rated Dog Gates
Do you have an older cat that struggles to jump taller dog gates? The little pet door is perfect if you want to help your cat out, whilst protecting his food from those cheeky doggy roommates.
- HEIGHT – 18 inches
- WIDTH – 26 – 42 inches, 10 – 7-inch pet doorway
- COLOUR – White
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Great for smaller dogs!
The gate itself is tall enough to stop your dogs from getting through but short enough that you can simply step over if you want to. The super durable metal means it will last forever, and the bars are close enough together that little puppies won’t be able to squeeze through unless you unlock the gate for them!
- Pressure mount – quick set up and no tools needed.
- Adjustable and easy to remove.
- Durable steel design.
- Safety lock feature.
- Non-toxic finish.
- Rubber bumpers for protection of your doorway and to provide a secure fit.
- Portable, lightweight, and compact.
- Tiny pet door allows for smaller pets to pass through without allowing larger pets.
- Easy to step over.
- Rounded corners can prove to be a safety hazard for small dogs.
- Also, a hazard in that small dogs may get their paws caught between the gate and the wall whilst standing on hind legs.
- Preset for sizing isn’t always suitable for all doorways so won’t be completely sturdy if not an exact fit.
- Some have reported that the latch is flimsy and inconvenient.
- Doesn’t stand alone.
Granted, if you have a dog that’s a showjumper at heart, then you may want to opt for a taller gate! This gate is instead suited to those dogs that just need a barrier that acts as a deterrent.
This freestanding doggie barrier is well designed for pet containment, but like the previous gate, it might not be great for those dogs with a knack for agility, it’s still great for older dogs and small dogs.
- HEIGHT – 20 inches
- WIDTH – 39 – 71 inches
- COLOUR – Autumn Matte finish, white
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Freestanding and looks straight out of a Scandinavian home!
It’s easy for you to step over to get past, all whilst keeping your pets safe and contained. The rubbing footing should prevent your pup from being able to nudge the gate out of the way, all while protecting your hardwood floors – how great is that?!
Let’s not forget how aesthetically pleasing this gate is – the classic Autumn coloured timber is simply gorgeous, but it also comes in white if you’re into more modern interior design.
- Perfect for smaller dogs.
- Rubber feet.
- Expandable width.
- Easy to store.
- Step-Over Design.
- Durable timber.
- Eco-friendly wood.
- Not suitable for taller dogs/dogs that can jump.
- Customers have reported items broken upon delivery.
- Others claimed it didn’t stop their dogs as they simply pushed the gate out of the way.
- A few claims that it isn’t as long-lasting as the description claims.
- Wooden colour is slightly different in real life with some reports.
Did we mention it’s eco-friendly? Because it is! So, if you want to look after the earth, as well as your four-legged fiend – sorry we meant to say – friend! This could be a great choice for you.
Ah, Carlson, the pet brand is at it again! With those small animal doors that are perfect for senior cats, or cats that are simply too lazy to jump the gate – but who can blame them in this case?
- HEIGHT – 30 inches
- WIDTH – 29 – 37 inches
- COLOUR – White
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Very tall, making it ideal for large dogs.
This gate is pretty darned tall, so it’s a great choice for keeping those big dogs away from the kitchen while your pie is cooling on the counter, or from the cat litter, or the kid’s playroom, basically – it works for whatever dog-free space you require.
Some customers have noted how this is a great gate for keeping their child at bay whilst also allowing for the cat to pass through easily – pretty great multipurpose gate there if you ask us!
- Tall enough to contain big dogs and jumpers.
- Small pet door.
- Adjustable – 6-inch wide extension kit.
- Durable steel design.
- Safety lock feature.
- Pressure mount.
- Easy Set Up.
- Walk-through door swings both ways.
- Not freestanding.
- Some customers have experienced difficulties with the manufacturing of their gates – claiming that they cannot close.
- Others have pointed out that the gate is flimsy and that larger dogs can actually cause damage to the gate.
So while you might not be able to step over it, how can you argue with a gate that keeps out dogs and children, all whilst letting cats and super tiny dogs through?!
This pretty little freestanding gate is great for those more temporary needs to contain your dog – maybe you’re cooking food, feeding the cat, or mopping the floor? Either way, this gate is great at keeping your exuberant pooch momentarily out of the way.
- HEIGHT – 24 inches
- WIDTH – 23.5 inches
- COLOUR – Expresso, white
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Looks like a nice piece of furniture!
That being said, we don’t recommend this gate if you need a gate as a permanent part of your living quarters as your dog will probably figure out how to nudge it out of the way, unfortunately!
That is, unless, you’re willing to spend a few extra coins and investing in rubber stands that will help hold the gate more securely in place and add a couple more inches to its height.
Designed to look like a beautiful miniature room divider, I wouldn’t be surprised to find my non-dog-owning friends adding this to their wish list, it’s just so flipping cute!
- Easy to store.
- The interconnecting panels that are easy to manipulate.
- Quality wood.
- Easy to clean.
- Perfect for small pets.
- You can easily step over.
- Cats can easily jump over.
- Very pretty.
- Lack of rubber feet make it easy to move across wooden floors – you need to purchase rubber stands to keep it more secure, they don’t come with the gate.
- Not great for big dogs.
- Not very multifunctional.
- Not very sturdy.
Freestanding, and able to conform to the space it has to fill – this gate/divider will work to confine your pet by filling most doorways, staircases, and even work to get some fresh air into the home without your pooch running out into the mud.
Got a cat that prefers to use an uncovered litter tray and a dog that likes to dig for gold a little too much? Then this gate could be the perfect solution for keeping that litter tray as far away as possible from your treasure hunting pooch!
- HEIGHT – 36 inches
- WIDTH – Fits openings 28.5 – 45 inches
- COLOURS – White, bronze
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Can mount using hardware for those cheeky Houdini pups!
The height of this dog gate will put off your dogs from leaping the gate, which we all know certain dogs are pretty skilled at doing, and with either pressure mount or hardware mount options – this gate won’t be going anywhere, even when Fido decides to push against it with all of his might.
- Dual Locking and auto-close.
- Removable door stopper to prevent any damage to stairs.
- Doesn’t leave marks on walls due to the pressure mount installation.
- Whilst made for toddlers and small children, this multipurpose gate is great for dogs also.
- The door opens in both directions making moving from room to super simple.
- Beautifully designed.
- Easy to install.
- Not freestanding.
- Can be difficult to adjust to the right amount of tension when gate extensions are applied to wider doorways – some have noted that once the tension is fixed, the gate is pretty much perfect.
- Some customers have struggled with the bottom latch and opening the gate,
Available in two classic colours, the design certainly won’t dull your house’s interior design by any means, the bronze gate, in particular, is very chic and would look fab in pretty much every family home.
Or, if a more subtle look is your jam, you might prefer to go for the beige colour option.
The results are in! Whilst all of these gates are great – or should we say, g(r)ate – for various reasons, the Carlson Lil Tuffy Gate is the clear winner. Whilst it isn’t a free-standing gate, and you can’t step over it, we think both of these aspects actually work in this gates favor.
The fact that it has to be secured to a door frame makes it sturdier than the freestanding gates, there’s no nudging it out of the way, and not being able to step over it means that there’s less of a chance that your dog will try and jump it.
Meanwhile, you still have a cute little pet door to let through any feline friends or tiny canine friends – or ferrets may be, we don’t know what pets you keep.
his gate is also multifunctional in that it can keep small children contained too, which a smaller gate would potentially struggle with, and they too could probably knock a freestanding gate out of the way.
So, yes, whilst it may not be as chic as a timber gate with an Autumn Matte finish, it is far more practical for the average pet owner and family.
Best Dog Gates
If you're thinking of investing on dog gates, read through our reviews of today's top best dog gates in the market!
Carlson Lil Tuffy
Arf Pets Wood