Like most dogs, our Boston Terriers love their food, and it can be hard not to spoil them when they look pleadingly at you with those beautiful big eyes!
Much as we love them, we all know that given too much of the wrong food can cause anti-social gassiness which is not only unpleasant for him, but also for the rest of the household; so choosing the best dog food for Boston Terriers is especially important.
What ingredients should be avoided to help their sensitive stomachs (and reduce the need to buy air fresheners!)? It is generally thought that dog food which offers high animal protein, and low or zero gluten, grain, corn, and soy – are more easily digested by Boston Terriers.
Interestingly, it is also thought that a dry or semi-dry meal is also better for them; in fact, it is generally thought that feeding your Boston Terrier with too much-tinned food can cause bad breath.
So to help you through the minefield of what to buy your best friend, here are our suggestions of the top 5 on the market:
Top 5 Best Dog Food For Boston Terriers
Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog Food Recipe comes in 6 mouthwatering flavours, venison, beef, lamb and tripe, mackerel and lamb, chicken, and lamb. All the grass-fed meat is human-grade and comes from free-range farms in New Zealand, and the fish from sustainable fishing.
- SIZE – 454 g / 1 kg / 2.5 kg / 4 kg
- FLAVOURS – 6 flavour options
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – 98% meat and with no grains, soy, or rice. Perfect for sensitive stomachs.
The meat in this dog food is preserved using a slow, twin-stage air-drying process which naturally preserves the meat in a way that naturally protects the nutrients of the ingredients, without the need for preservatives, sugars, or glycerine, it also eliminates pathogenic bacteria such as salmonella and listeria.
The result is a dog food that is as nutritious and digestible as a raw meat diet.
Boston Terriers are known to be susceptible to allergies or stomach problems, especially from foods containing grain, corn, and wheat, which can cause your dog to have excess gas problems, diarrhea, and even vomiting, this dog food has none of those ingredients.
The Ziwi recipe contains 98 percent fresh meat, organs, bones, and green mussels; green mussels are a natural source of chondroitin and glucosamine, both of which support healthy joint
- Sustainably sourced ingredients
- Free-range, grass-fed meat
- No grains, corn, wheat, soy, rice, or fillers
- No antibiotics, growth promotants, or added hormones
- High in protein and calories
- Contains green mussels, beware if the dog is allergic to fish
- Very rich, introduce slowly if changing diet
- Some prefer to use this food as treats because very rich
- Possibly needs to be stored in the fridge to stop going stale
This dog food is higher in natural proteins and calories than some other dog foods so you could find that you will need to feed in smaller quantities if you don’t want your little terrier to put on weight.
2. Wellness CORE
Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed is another food option that is particularly good for an adult (over 1 year of age) Boston Terriers. It is a high protein food, specifically which contains none of those ingredients which can upset your little American Gentleman’s stomach such as wheat, corn, or soy.
- SIZE – 4 lb / 12 lb
- FLAVOURS – Turkey and chicken
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – 100% grain-free. All-natural ingredients, no preservatives.
The aim of this tasty dog food is based on the nutritional philosophy that dogs thrive on a diet mainly comprised of meat.
To provide the extra nutrients he needs, the turkey and chicken meat are combined with various vegetables, including spinach, kale, peas, potatoes, and carrots, topped up with apples, blueberries, and mint.
Little dogs only eat small amounts, so they need well-balanced dog food to ensure they get all the essentials nutrients needed to maintain their health and energy.
- 100% grain free
- Full of essential minerals and vitamins
- Small pellets ideal for small dogs
- All natural products, no preservatives
- High-quality fatty acids and protein
- No preservatives could be prone to mold
- Needs to be kept in a sealed bag to store
- Comes in an un-sealable bag
- Some dogs just don’t like it
Wellness Core has probiotics to help with his digestion, as well as added vitamins and fatty acids from omega 3 and 6 to add luster to your little hound’s coat and boost his immunity, then glucosamine and chondroitin to help maintain his hips and joints, essential for all energetic hounds.
3. Merrick Lil’Plates
The Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Small Breeds Recipe starts with protein-deboned meat, poultry, or fish. There are no corn, wheat, soy, or gluten ingredients in these small but perfectly formed pellets, just vegetables and fruits like blueberries, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, and more.
Nothing to stop you sensitive Boston Terrier from enjoying his meals without irritating his stomach.
- SIZE – 4 lb / 12 lb / 20 lb
- FLAVOURS – Lamb, Beef, Chicken, Salmon
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Small pellets to suit small dogs. Grain-free. High levels of fatty acids and glucosamine to help skin and joints
The added fruit and vegetables provide the extra vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants; the sweet potato provides the complex carbs and starch needed to provide your special friend with energy, while the salmon oil and flaxseed oil provide the omega 3 and 6 he needs to help promote healthy skin and shiny coat, with markings like his, you need to show them off!
- Small pellets for small mouths
- No corn, wheat, soy, or gluten
- No preservatives
- Omega oils to promote healthy skin and coat
- Crunchy pellets to help clean teeth
- Rich formula some dogs have digestion problems
- Some dogs don’t like the smell
- Some reports of inconsistent quality
The recipe also includes added vitamins to help keep your special terrier healthy; probiotics and prebiotic fiber are added to help his sensitive digestive system. The small pellets are designed to be crunchy to help to keep his teeth clean.
The Canidae Grain Free Pure Dry Dog Food is a limited ingredient, grain-free food, it contains nine main ingredients plus vitamins and minerals, and is specially designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
An added bonus is that it also comes in other taste options: lamb, duck, buffalo, and salmon. With only nine carefully selected whole food key ingredients, this is still a high-calorie food, so a little goes a long way, so don’t let him persuade you to give him more, resist those large, pleading eyes if you can.
- SIZE – 4 lb / 10 lb / 12 lb / 21 lb / 24 lb
- FLAVOURS – Chicken
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Small pellets to suit small dogs. Grain-free. High calorie, limited ingredient food.
The main ingredient is obviously the fresh chicken, which is easier to digest than red meats, so ideal for your sensitive terrier, this is enhanced with menhaden fish meal, potatoes, peas, lentils, and eggs to provide fiber and carbs, and flaxseed and chicken fat for essential oils, so important to provide the balanced diet your energetic little chap needs.
- Limited ingredients designed for sensitive stomachs
- Fresh meat is the main ingredient
- Plenty of flavour options
- Small pellets for small mouths
- Limited ingredients, some dogs may prefer a stronger taste
- Some issues with pellets crumbled in the bag
- Contains whole egg which some dogs are allergic to
Although this is a limited ingredient diet food, it does still contain all the minerals and vitamins needed, as well as probiotics to help support healthy digestion, antioxidants to boost the immune system, and omega 3 and 6 which helps keep your special hound’s skin and coat looking healthy and shiny.
This is very important for a handsome little chap who loves to catch people’s eyes when he’s out in the park!
5. Instinct Natural
If you are tempted to see of your Boston Terrier likes the taste of a raw diet, try giving him Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost dog food, which is a combination of grain-free, high protein meal with freeze-dried raw cage-free chicken.
Bring out the inner wolf in your little terrier!
- SIZE – 4 lb / 10 lb /
- FLAVOURS – Chicken
- WHY WE RECOMMEND – Small pellets to suit small dogs with added freeze-dried raw chicken. Grain and gluten-free.
As well as the small breeds chicken variety with its small-sized pellets, this dog food is also available in other flavours, lamb, beef, and duck, catering to all breeds and size of dogs.
The important thing for our Boston Terrier is that this is a gluten and grain-free, high animal protein food that suits their special needs.
It is packed with all the necessary extras such as calcium and phosphorous for strong teeth and bones, glucosamine and chondroitin to keep their joints healthy, along with omega and fatty acids to maintain healthy skin and a glossy coat and antioxidants to boost their immune system.
- Grain and gluten-free
- Has real, raw meat
- A high amount of animal protein
- Other flavours available
- Very good customer service
- The amount of raw bits can vary
- Some dogs don’t like the meal pieces, just the raw bits
- High in animal protein – can upset some stomachs
- Contains egg which some dogs can be allergic to
Instead of using grains and potatoes, this product is packed with vegetables and fruit, pumpkin seeds, and coconut oil to provide the right level of calories and carbs to ensure your little chap will have bundles of energy, and a happy stomach.
The freeze-dried element means you don’t have to tempt him to eat by adding meat… it’s already in his dish.
All of the dog foods we have suggested for consideration in your search for the Best Dog Food for Boston Terriers come very highly recommended by their very satisfied customers – and their owners!
If we have tempted you to try one, or all, of these, it is important to remember that when you are transitioning to a new food, you need to introduce the new product gradually over a period of 5 to 7 days, gradually mixing increasing amounts in with the current food each day; a sudden change of diet can cause serious gassiness, diarrhea and even vomiting.
So which of these dog foods has come out top, it’s a close thing, and obviously, all our dogs are different, so they won’t all agree with us, but the Merrick Lil’ Plates Grain-Free Small Breed Recipe is our top choice.
Best Dog Food For Boston Terriers
Read through our reviews of the top 5 best dog food for Boston Terriers to find the best and most suitable dog food for your dog.